Microsoft’s Windows 10 operating systems bundles Cortana its digital personal assistant. With each update to Windows 10, Cortana has become more integrated into Windows 10. It might be useful for those who need it to find information, show notifications and set reminders, but many people don’t like its limitations and prefer it not to exist.
We will show you how to temporarily and permanently disable Cortana from your Windows 10 computer.
How do you temporarily disable Cortana
You can use the following steps to make Cortana not respond to voice commands but activate it manually.
- You can click on the Cortana icon in the taskbar next to the Search field.
- To open the drop-down menu, click the three dots in the app.
- Select the Keyboard shortcut option from Settings by clicking on “Settings”.
- Next, toggle off the Keyboard shortcut.
- To apply these changes, restart your computer.
- Continue the previous steps, and then open the Settings panel. To toggle off “Voice activation”, click the button.
- Choose Voice activation permissions, then disable the “Let Cortana reply to Cortana keyword” option.
These steps will prevent Cortana accidentally activating. It will be there when you need it and will not impact your search experience.
How to permanently disable Cortana
This is an extremely difficult step. If you don’t have the computer skills, you should not attempt it. You will need to modify the Windows registry. This can sometimes cause a crash or malfunction in Windows.
- Use the keyboard shortcut Windows+R to open a run
- Enter “regedit” in the search box and hit Enter.
- Navigate to the Registry and navigate now to “HKEY_Local_Machine> SOFTWARE> Policies > Microsoft > Windows”.
- Right-click Windows to select New > Key
- The new folder should be named “Windows Search”.
- Right-click the folder to select New >DWORD (32 bit) Value
- Double-click the file to open.
- Click on OK to set the value at 0
- Start your computer again.