Although the COVID-19 vaccination is now available and more cases are being reported, many people still work remotely or attend virtual classes. It appears that the situation will not change for a few months more. One of the most important aspects is taking screenshots while working. Although most people are familiar with how to capture screenshots from mobile phones, it can be a bit tricky to do the same on a computer or laptop. The steps to capture screenshots in Windows or macOS differ because each operating system has its own set of commands. We have outlined a few easy ways that you can capture screenshots in Windows and macOS to make your job easier.
Windows: How do you take screenshots?
With the snipping tool
- Search for the “Snipping Tool” in the Start Menu.
- You will be prompted to open the app. This pop-up will offer you options such as ‘New,’ ‘Mode,’ ‘Delay,’ ‘Cancel,’ and Options.
- To take a freeform screenshot, tap on the new button.
- You can choose the type of shape that you would like to see in the “Mode” option.
Using Print Screen option
- Take a picture of the window that you are interested in.
- To take a screengrab of the clipboard, tap on the “PrtScn” button.
- Now you can paste the screengrab into a program that displays images like Paint.
Screenshot without the snipping tool
- Tap Windows + Shift+ S together.
- You will see a screen that allows you to select and drag your mouse to take a picture of the area you wish to capture.
- You can then go to Paint and paste your screenshot from the clipboard.
Save the screenshot directly
- Click the PrtSc + Window button.
- The program will take a screenshot of your entire screen, and save it to the Pictures> folder in a folder called Screenshots>.
- Gamers can use the Window key +G to bring up an overlay of games while playing.
- Click the Camera icon.
- You will save the screenshot in the “Videos” folder, under the subfolder titled “Captures”.
- Steam gamers may also use the F11 button on their keyboard to capture a screenshot. This can then be used within the Steam folder.
MacOS: How do you take screenshots
- To take a screen shot of the whole screen, tap Command+Shift+3 and together.
- To take a simple screenshot, tap Command+Shift+4 and then press the arrow keys together.
- To get a box snapshot, tap Command+Shift+5.